08 February, 2010

"Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want" ~ Gael Greene

The boy is out on the town tonight with the lads, so I've stayed in and had a seriously girly night. Apart from taking a long hot bath, waxing my legs and painting my toe nails in preparation for the works night out tomorrow night, I baked a delicious treat for him to eat while I am away tomorrow. As not only am I out in the evening but I have booked myself in for some long awaited retail therapy made possible by my estranged grandfather.

Presenting to you this evening, Chocolate Peppermint Brownies.

A quick and really easy recipe to make them, and they do taste delicious. The boy particularly likes his warmed up with a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream. It makes 16 squares.

- 180g Milk Chocolate (you can use dark if you wish)
- 150g Butter
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 150g Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
-
2 tsps Chocolate Powder

- 1 tsp Peppermint Extract
- Bag of chocolate chips (white or milk, or maybe a mixture of both if you're feeling adventurous!)

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4 and line a heat proof dish or tray with grease proof paper.
2. Slowly melt the chocolate in a pan over low heat then add the butter. Stir until the butter has melted then remove from heat. Stir in sugar.
3. Beat the eggs together then mix into the chocolate mixture. Add the peppermint extract.
4. In a separate bowl sieve the flour, baking powder and chocolate powder. Add the chocolate chops then fold in chocolate mixture
5. Put the mixture into the greased dish and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is firm to touch.
6. Remove from the over and turn out onto a cooling rack, then slice into 16 squares.

7. Enjoy warm with some ice cream as a dessert or leave to cool down and eat as a snack.

In my case, it's true what they say that the quickest way to a mans heart is through his stomach. Whip these us as a special Valentines day treat next Sunday and save yourself some pennies! However, if you're really strapped for cash or don't have any of the ingredients, I recommend Betty Crocker Brownie Mix, my sister uses it and it's delicious. Then to make them peppermint just add in the extract! Much less mess and fuss.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I shall be giving these a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummm, I love baking (and eating!) brownies. This one looks delicious!

    P.S. thank you for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look lovely
    and I think you've persuaded me to see Youth in Revolt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look gorgeous, loving your recipe posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate peppermint is one of my favourite flavour combinations! Yum, yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMmm, those brownies are calling my name!
    btw i have that same plate that's in the picture!
    xoxo alison

    ReplyDelete