27 February, 2010

Film Review #3 'Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist'


"Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist is a comedy about two people thrust together for one hilarious, sleepless night of adventure in a world of mix tapes, late-night living, and, live, loud music. Nick (Michael Cera) frequents New York's indie rock scene nursing a broken heart and a vague ability to play the bass. Norah (Kat Dennings) is questioning pretty much all of her assumptions about the world. Though they have nothing in common except for their taste in music, their chance encounter leads to an all-night quest to find a legendary band's secret show and ends up becoming the first date in a romance that could change both their lives." - Plot taken from Rotten Tomatoes

Tonight is the boy and my last night together for a week as he is going snowboarding with his brothers and I'm going to visit some friends and family. Although for the first time in three years I'm actually looking forward to the week ahead we still both wanted to do something nice especially since we had something to celebrate (more on that next week). Firstly we'd planned a meal out, but we couldn't afford that, then we'd planned to have another of those meal deals, this time from Tescos but he didn't want to waste the petrol money driving there so instead we settled on one of those take away pizzas, with 44p garlic bread and £2 chicken wings, teamed with ameretto and cheap coke. Perfect and to top the night off, a Michael Cera film.

When I first heard of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, I imagined it being like High Fidelity which is one of my favourite films but of course we don't need another version of that which is probably why I haven't bothered to watch this film until now even though it's been out for two years. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised, and the boy especially loved it!

Once again, Michael Cera plays the awkward dubious teen on the quest for the perfect girl. The perfect girl however has recently ended their relationship after spending six months cheating on him. She's blonde, skinny and sassy, and personally I felt their relationship was a bit unbelievable. He's been making her mix cds and leaving them on her door step and she's been taking them to school and laughing about them with her friends. Kat Dennings plays the unconventional friend of Cera's love who has been claiming his mixtapes and falling for him through his music. This of course turns into the usual boy meets girl that begins with mistaken identities, but although it was predictible I still couldn't help but enjoy it.

The supporting cast was excellent and enjoyable. Nick's ex Tris played by Alexis Dzenia, was annoying but I am sure that's how the audience was supposed to percieve her and Norah's other friend Caroline played by Ari Graynor, was a disgustingly hilerious and very believable drunk. Nick's friends were three gays, and having had my own gay friends these guys just tickled me! Some of my favourite moments were the conversations they would have about what to call the band. Norah has to be one of my favourite movie heroines, I completely empathised with her and Kat Dennings plays an excellent lost teenage girl. I look forward to seeing her in things to come.


I have never read the book so I cannot compare the two but Nick and Norah is a film I'm going to have to go out and buy as I feel I could probably watch it over again and still enjoy it. The story was sweet, funny and at times completely gross but like most Cera films, it was a well rounded teen indie comedy. Also it is set in NYC, that's a winner every time for me!

Best Moment: When Tris is dancing in front of Nick's car and he drives off, cleaning her lipstick kiss off his window.
Best Line: "
Well, you're two penises short of a Shania Twain reimagination band!"
Would Recommend For: Indie comedy lovers, Rom-com lovers, Michael Cera fans
Rating: 8/10

1 comment: